domingo, 7 de junio de 2009

with 7 days to go...

...i feel like there is still so much to try to communicate about Bangladesh...
still turmoil in my head and heart, and definitely in my stomach, when i engage with this place.

Hello my dear family and friends. I can't wait to hug you soon.

People have been sending around pictures this morning, so (while the kindergarteners are out at PE class) I think I'll share some. You guys know that the scenes in these pictures look nothing like real Dhaka... these are pictures from the American School cloud in the sky. Please stay tuned for more real world pictures soon.

Did you know that I played on a softball team all year long?
I've been warming up my skills so I can play with on a team with our friends back in Cville, and maybe just maybe keep up with my future husband :)

We played on Friday mornings from September to May. It was in an expat league - a Korean group, a Japanese group, one group from Chevron, one group from the American embassy, and a few others. We beat the Japanese team in a final the tournament a few weeks ago! We played all of our games on the school soccer turf - it is raised and drained to prevent flooding - not bad at all; I think it actually might be the best field in the whole country.

We also had a year-end faculty party last Friday. This is exciting because I put on my sari totally by myself (triumph! Mrs. Sinha would be proud!) and had a blast looking and feeling sort-of like a Bollywood actress all night long.

Bangladesh - a mysterious place where saris and burkas co-exist...