jueves, 4 de junio de 2009

I guess I'm going to be more like a normal blogger today - no pictures, but instead I'm going to go on and on about my politics for a while...

President Obama's speech in Cairo today. I just think it was important. For me he spoke this complicated truth that we all believe in and that is always with us, but has floated elusively and been hidden by the ignorant rhetoric and fear-mongering of bad leaders.

The value of Mr. Obama's speech is not any particular implication for American foreign policy; the value is its full disclosure, which lets universal truths show through and therefore encourages more fair decision-making. For example, the disturbing situation of Israel and Palestine and the undeniable wrongs that persist on both sides.

While listening to this speech I was emotionally transported back to September 11th and the dialogue over how our country would respond. I worried and hoped a lot, like many of us did, for a response that would give credit to the full global reality -
The memory of those feelings and the disappointment is distressing even now. For me, what Obama gave today was the message that the whole world, the US especially, needed on September 12th. Today I felt finally that the US is representing the high road on Islam and the Middle East, which happens to be the road that actually faces reality and seeks peace.

I feel we've been waiting for a long time for some world-class leader to put this particular set of issues into clear and respectful words - admitting complexities but giving emphasis to universal understandings. Moreover, this is what people worldwide hoped Obama could do for us all; he's fulfilled some expectations today.

After one year in a Muslim country, Obama's words do it for me - they sum up what I see in this society - appreciation, despair, and fear. He did nothing but speak the truth, but my dear God it was beautiful.

I watched this speech live on Aljezeera this afternoon; that is our primary international news source - the whole Arab/Muslim world watch Aljazeera's broadcasting. In the follow-up coverage their reception of the speech was decidedly reverent. Not to mention Obama received interruptions of applause and a standing ovation. The choice to use inclusive rhetoric has very big implications.

May peace be upon us all. Mr. Obama, you are a gift.