domingo, 22 de febrero de 2009

views of downtown dhaka, new market (from our car)

hi everybody! it was a nice weekend in Dhaka, full of soccer - as our school hosted the regional boys' soccer championship... this was so cool! kids came from all over - participating were 10 schools, international schools from Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Colombo, Chennai, Dheli, Kathmandu, and Mumbai - I kept staring at the kids in wonder: "You're growing up in Islamabad??" As always there were Americans and Europeans, Africans, East Asians and lots of South Asians all mixed in together. It was cool to hear Urdu being spoken around us. EVERYONE in our school community came out to watch the competition - especially in its final stages. In the end, AIS/D lost the championship to Kathmandu 0-1. I've gotta say it was some of the best soccer I've ever seen, making me want to watch a lot more soccer. These tournaments happen 4 times a year, for different sports, but I found this one to be more fun since, with me working in the high school now, I actually know some of our athletes. I'll get to know them better starting next week when track season starts and I join the coaching squad :) That's the exciting news from the Desh.

On Friday afternoon Jimmy and I took advantage of lesser traffic (it's the holy day of the week) and drove downtown to big famous old market "New Market", in hopes of shopping for fabric - however, there was a big fire in one of the factories right across the street from New Market, and everything got a little too crazy for us to park and walk around in. here are some shots that i snapped with my little point and shoot camera as we navegated the Dhaka scene...